NYC Attorneys Litigate Firefighter Injuries from Crashes & Structural Collapses
Aggressive representation for catastrophic injury and wrongful death
Structural collapses are rare, but when they happen, they can exact a terrible toll on first responders. At Barasch & McGarry, we admire the extraordinary courage of firefighters who face the inherent dangers of their occupation. It’s gratitude for the vital service you provide that motivates us to fight tirelessly for your rights. If you or a firefighter you love suffered a severe injury or wrongful death in a building collapse, our proven trial lawyers will evaluate your case and fight aggressively for the compensation you deserve.
Who is liable for injuries due to structural collapse?
Structural collapse can happen for various reasons. Some buildings are simply unsafe, structurally unsound and vulnerable to collapse. Sometimes, the improper storage of combustibles and explosives contributes to a structural collapse. Sometimes it is a combination of factors. Possible scenarios include:
- Poor design — If a properly designed building would have withstood the thermal stress of this type of fire, but it collapsed due to poor design, a firefighter might have a cause of action against the architects or engineers responsible.
- Faulty construction — If the use of substandard materials in the construction of the building caused a collapse, the firefighter might have a cause of action against the construction company responsible.
- Building not up to code — A building collapse caused by a landlord’s failure to maintain the building in accordance with the law would give rise to a cause of action under General Municipal Law § 205-a on behalf of an injured firefighter.
- Illegally stored materials creating extraordinary loads — A fire places a structure under inordinate stress. If the building is already bearing an extraordinary load, it cannot be expected to hold up. If the weight that caused the collapse was there in violation of the law, an injured firefighter could file suit under General Municipal Law § 205-a.
- Explosion — Some of the worst building collapses are caused by massive explosions. These have resulted, for example, from the storage of dangerous chemicals and from gas-fed fires.
Firefighters who are struck by objects or lost under the weight of a collapsing building can easily suffer catastrophic injuries or wrongful death. As your legal advocate, we thoroughly investigate every facet of the building collapse to assemble the evidence necessary to deliver positive results.
Trust our experienced NYC attorneys to manage complex building collapse cases
Cases of structural collapses that injure or kill firefighters require exhaustive investigation and consultation with various forensic experts. As an established, reputable law firm, Barasch & McGarry has the experience, determination and resources to manage your case effectively. To learn more about how we can protect your rights, call 844.874.1564 or contact our office online to schedule a free consultation.