2020 NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS: PRIORITIZE YOUR HEALTH AND PEACE OF MIND
We’re all for New Year’s Resolutions. They are a great opportunity to renew our commitment to our health, our psychological well-being, and our peace of mind. 2020 has been a doozy, and many of us have put too many things on the back burner.
HERE’S WHAT’S ON OUR LIST FOR THIS YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS:
- Get a skin check: Detected early, skin cancer is treatable. Make it your priority to schedule a skin exam.
- Go for your WTC Medical Exam or yearly health screening: Don’t skip your WTC medical or yearly health exam. Just like with skin cancer, detecting other health conditions early may make all the difference in whether treatment is successful. Your health is your most important asset.
- Stay connected to friends and family: In the age of Covid, many of us are dealing with a new problem – loneliness. Physical distancing doesn’t mean that we should let our relationships wither. Reach out to friends and family by phone, video, or in person (with precautions). Make an effort to stay connected to people.
- Give meditation a try: You may think it’s a load of @!%&, but hear us out. This is an incredibly stressful time, and firefighters have it especially hard. Stress has both physical and emotional symptoms, and one of the most effective ways to manage stress is with mediation. There are terrific body scan meditations available for free on YouTube, and they are worth a try.
- Eat the rainbow: Mom was right, you should eat your peas. Also your carrots, and your leafy greens, your colorful fruits and vegetables. Limit processed foods, and prioritize healthy foods that will protect against heart disease, and optimize health.
- Update beneficiary information: If you have gotten married or divorced, had a child, or otherwise had a change in circumstances, you should consider whether you need to update your designated beneficiary on important financial documents like insurance plans, benefit plans, and bank accounts. You’ll feel instantly better knowing you’ve done something for your family.
- Get a will: It’s not exactly a festive subject, but we wouldn’t be doing our job if we didn’t put this on the list. Getting a will is actually one of the most important things that you can do for your family, and you’ll feel peace of mind once you have one. In every newsletter we publish, we remind you of how important this is. We do free wills for firefighters, active and retired (not just during the holidays, but year round). If you don’t have a will, or if your will needs to be updated, call us.